This is a quick, easy weeknight meal, this chicken and broccoli Alfredo entree will become a staple in your home. Kids won’t complain about having to eat their broccoli (or spaghetti squash) when it’s mixed with such creamy, cheesy goodness, and you’ll love the dish for it’s healthier ingredients! Serves 4. Enjoy!
4 (4oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
2 cups broccoli and cauliflower florets
1 large spaghetti squash (about 2 cups)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. almond flour
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt or light soft tofu for dairy-free version
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Depending on your preferences: 1/4-1/2 cup freshly nutritional yeast (dairy-free option) or Parmesan cheese.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Use a sharp knife to cut down the middle of the squash, length-wise.
3. Then scoop out the seeds using a spoon.
4. Place the squash, cut-side down on a foil lined baking sheet and pop it into the oven for an hour to roast.
5. After 1 hour, take the squash out of the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
6. Once it cools use a fork and pull the strands away from the sides of the squash. Once you’ve loosened up all the sides you can just scoop up all the strands by pulling from under it.
7. Next, in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Whisk in the almond flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, Greek yogurt/tofu, almond milk, pepper and nutmeg.
10. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.
11. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
12. Stir in the nutritional yeast or the Parmesan.
13. Add cooked chicken and broccoli to sauce mixture, followed by the cooked spaghetti squash.
14. Toss to combine and serve, enjoy!
Dayna’s Tip: You can use fettuccine noodles but it will add an extra 180-200 calories to this meal. Using the spaghetti squash, it cuts down 150-120 calories for this meal.
Nutritional InformationCalories: 279
Protein: 28.5 grams
Fats: 15.7 grams
Carbs: 8.4 grams
Sugar: 1 gram