All about the beets, about the beets, no trouble! These “Faux” Red Velvet Protein Cupcakes, are a perfect dessert for Valentines Day! Used beets to give it that red color, added in protein (of course, right?) and a little melted chocolate to complete this raspberry chocolate flavored cupcake. Enjoy! Makes 12 cupcakes. Serving size: 2 cupcakes based on the nutritional facts.
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/3 cup beet (juiced), or beet juice (nothing added)
2/3 cup egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon raspberry extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, but helps to lift the cupcakes)
2 tablespoon Enjoy ® mini chocolate chips
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. First, get the juice from the beet. Here are a couple ways to do this also what I did is added below.
First way: Put the beetroot pieces, stem and leaves through the hopper to juice them.
Second way: If you don't own a juicer, you can coarsely chop beets, then process them on the liquefy setting of a blender. Strain the processed beets through 4 layers of cheesecloth suspended over a bowl to obtain the clear juice, gathering the cloths edges and squeezing to extract all the liquid.
Third and the way I did it: Buy the canned beets (make sure to get it plain with nothing in it). Probably not the greatest way but you only need 1/3 cup.
3. Next Step: Add everything in a large bowl and mix well with a blender or a fork.
4. Line the muffin pan with silicon or parchment cupcake liners or spray the pan with non-stick spray.
4. Use a small ice cream scooper and fill each muffin liner with the cupcake mixture.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
6. Allow to cool all the way and add the topping.
How to prepare the topping:
1. Melt all the chocolate chips, cocoa and unsweetened almond milk either in the microwave (1 minute) or on the stove (1-2 minutes).
2. While melting, stir frequently to completely melt the chocolate chips.
3. Once the chocolate chips have melted, drizzle (as much or as little as you like) the chocolate over each cupcake with a spoon.
4. Once the chocolate has set (10-15 minutes), you can serve and enjoy!
Nutritional InformationCalories: 142
Protein: 14.3 grams
Fats: 6.5 grams
Carbs: 6.6 grams
Sugar: 3.4 grams