I wanted to come up with some easy low carb cookies that had a similar flavor and texture as a thin mint candy. I use to love the Girl Scout Thin Mints, but since I’m allergic to gluten and dairy this was the best recipe that gave me the same great taste but going grain and dairy free. This is a fun and easy recipe that seriously, your kids can even make! This recipe makes 30 cookies (you can make them thinner (40 cookies) and reduce the calories and have 2 per serving). Serving Size: 1 or 2 depending on the size you make.
1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp. stevia
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 tbsp. butter (dairy free, if needed or coconut oil), melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
10 drops stevia
1 tbsp. butter (dairy-free, if needed or coconut oil)
¾ cup cup Enjoy Mini Chocolate Chips, low-sugar Lily's chocolate Chips or regular chocolate chips
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1. For the cookies, preheat the oven to 225 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, cocoa powder, stevia, baking powder and salt. Add in egg, butter, vanilla and stevia and stir well until dough comes together.
3. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper to desired thickness (I rolled mine very thin, about 1/8 inch thick). Lift off top piece of parchment and set aside.
4. Using a 2-inch diameter cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough and lift gently.
5. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet.
6. Gather up scraps of dough and reroll until too little is left to roll out.
7. Bake cookies until firm, 40 minutes to an hour.
8. Turn off oven and let cookies continue to crisp up.
9. For the coating, place a metal bowl over a pot of gently simmering water, not allowing the bowl to touch the water. Melt butter and chocolate together in the bowl, stirring until smooth.
10. Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract.
11. Dip cookies into chocolate, using two forks to turn over and fully coat cookie.
12. Gently pass chocolate-coated cookie back and forth between forks to remove excess chocolate, then place on waxed paper to cool and set.
Nutritional InformationCalories: 88 (larger cookie)
Protein: 2.3 grams
Fats: 6.7 grams
Carbs: 6 grams
Sugar: 3.7 grams