Strata simply means “layers.” This dish features layers of spaghetti squash, sauteed zucchini, extra lean ground turkey and dairy-free cheese. Serves 5.
4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 5 cups)
1 lbs. extra lean ground turkey
1 large spaghetti squash
2 cups low sugar marinara sauce (I use Monte Bene Farm fresh)
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (dairy-free) cheese (any cheese will do)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
2 clove of fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon basil
First prepare the Spaghetti Squash:
1. Cut spaghetti squash in half, clean out seeds and rind--bake half hour at 450.
2. Brown the ground turkey with the garlic clove and onion until completely cooked through, after completely cooked add in 1 cup, mix well together and set aside.
3. Lightly grease/spray a 3-quart rectangular or oval baking dish; and add the ground turkey for the 1st layer.
4. In an extra-large skillet cook zucchini in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until light brown, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat. Place aside.
6. When the spaghetti squash is cooked and forked through, add in the remaining 1 cup of the marina sauce, and add it to the 2nd layer of the strata.
7. Place the zucchini slices on top of the spaghetti squash.
8. In a small bowl combine cheese, the parsley, onion powder, and pepper. Pour evenly over layers in baking dish. Using the back of a large spoon, gently press down on layers.
9. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes (if you use a dairy free cheese, if you use regular cheese 15 minutes).
10. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle with basil, and enjoy!
Nutritional InformationCalories: 343
Protein: 24 grams
Fats: 10.4 grams
Carbs: 19.4 grams
Sugar: 11 grams