Since it is National Donut Day, I thought what a great idea to create a new recipes that has less sugar, less carbohydrates and more nutrition per donut. I mean come on, who doesn’t like a donut? Since I’m preggo and I have been craving these babies, but I will be honest, I have not had one yet because of the nutrition that is in these little donuts are not great and I have to feed my growing baby the best. I have listed below some toppings that you can add to them, and this recipe will make 7 donuts from a muffin pan. To make the holes just use tin foil and make a crunched up ball and add it in the middle (picture shown above). They Don’t look as great, but they are doable when you don’t have a donut pan.
1. Pumpkin Spice (cinnamon, stevia + pumpkin pie spice)
2. Apple Pie (apple pie spice + thinly sliced warm apple chunks)
3. Maple Glazed (1 tbsp. PB2 + sugar free maple syrup as frosting) This is what I used for this recipe.
4. Coconut (dipped in melted coconut oil + unsweetened coconut)
5. Chocolate (unsweetened cocoa powder + Stevia + melted coconut oil )
6. Jelly Topper (add some sugar-free jelly on top)
7. Pecan (1 tablespoon sugar free maple syrup + finely crushed pecans)
5 tablespoons coconut flour
3 tablespoons vanilla protein powder (I used Vega Plant Based Protein Powder with greens)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pure almond extract
1/2 cup mashed bananas or 1 large banana
3 Tbsp. egg whites
1 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
Tip: pea protein is a better protein to cook with since it is very similar to a flour texture. If you have trouble with protein recipes, switch to a pea protein base.
1. Place all ingredients into a bowl and beat together till batter is smooth.
2. Scoop or pipe donuts into a donut pan, or can use muffin pan. (i rolled mine into a pipe and circled it around the tin foil).
3. Bake 350 for about 15-17 minutes, or until tooth pick comes out clean.
4. Donuts should pop out of pan. Let cool on cooling rack.
5. Spread on your topping or keep it all natural.
Nutritional InformationCalories: 107 (only donut, not toppings)